• Ever have a child read a word because they guess from the picture without even looking at the first letter of the word? Saying duck instead of goose? Reading horse instead of pony? Then this is the game for you!!!
• The game reinforces and practices the following reading strategies for Emergent readers (Some are basically the same thing just with different names):
-Check the Picture
-Get Your Mouth Ready
-First Letter Clues
• This game can be done in centers (Daily 5 Word Work), as a whole group activity, or in small guided reading groups.
• Teacher Prep: All you have to do is print, laminate, cut, and hole punch the stars on the playing cards. Then in the back of the card with a Sharpie, circle the hole that is the right answer. This serves as a way for children to self-check/monitor themselves without having to search through an answer key (very important for kindergarten). The game can be played with 2-4 players.
• Teacher Secret: Every child basically reads every word because it is their responsibility to check each other to make sure each player knows the words they are reading. I also included a response sheet for accountability purposes.
Please leave me feedback! :-)
Also any questions, corrections, etc. please message me!
Thank you so much for downloading!