These questions drive at the themes of utopia/dystopia and the darkness that is capable in a human's heart. As students read through the book, these questions are designed to help them trail the changes that occur within the characters as they turn from innocent children into heartless people capable of murder. Students will also track the island's transformation from a utopia to a dystopic nightmare.
The questions prompt students to think critically about the following:
1. Literary theme and it's comment on the human condition
2. Character and plot development
3. Character point of view and the impact of narration when the point of view shifts from one character to another
4. How literary elements shape plot and setting
5. How isolated scenes contribute to the plot of LOTF
6. Conclusions and inferences about the theme, the plot, and their characters.
Suggestions for use:
1. require that students use text evidence to support their answers
2. have students choose one of the questions at the end of the novel to write an essay over
3. discuss these questions in depth as a class to gain differing viewpoints
4. have students write short answers over one question per chapter