Lord of the Flies Fishbowl Debate
→ Editable files!
Teaching Lord of the Flies provides so many opportunities for rich classroom conversations. This Fishbowl Debate requires students to examine one of the major themes of the novel--nature versus nature. After working through a few preparation activities, students participate in an engaging (and somewhat competitive!) discussion in which they argue their selected or assigned positions.
Following the discussion, you could require students to use their graphic organizers and notes to write an ACT-style argumentative essay. (This activity will add an extra 45 minutes to the lesson plan.)
This activity is also a part of my Lord of the Flies Activity Mini Bundle
. Check out this great bundle for a savings of over 30%!
This lesson is classroom-tested and include the following:
A teacher lesson plan with…
• Common Core objectives
• preparation steps
• a classroom agenda
• assessment strategies
A PowerPoint with…
• student-friendly objectives
• student directions
• activity time limits
• Lord of the Flies Activity Bundle
• Lord of the Flies Digital Lock Box Escape Room Game
• Lord of the Flies Pre-reading Carousel Discussion
• Lord of the Flies Review Game
• Lord of the Flies Themes Textual Analysis Activity
• Lord of the Flies Vocabulary Paper Slide Videos