Lord of the Flies
This is a Common Core aligned teaching guide for “Lord of the Flies” by William Golding with over 250 pages of material.
These activities were created using “Dynamic Design” – a curriculum development model that incorporates multiple layers of scaffolding for the same assignment, allowing teachers to provide access for students of various ability levels. For example, chapter-by-chapter questions are provided in three forms:
Form A – designed for students of grade-level ability
Form B – designed for English Learners or students of below grade-level ability
Form C – designed for Special Needs, English Learners, or students of below grade-level ability
All three forms have the same questions and are similar in appearance, though Form B incorporates sentence starters and reference page numbers, while Form C adds additional “hint” questions. Teachers can distribute the most appropriate forms to different students and deliver the same assignment to the class.
Please download the preview to view an example of Dynamic Design curriculum.
The complete contents of the lesson guide include over 250 pages of content organized as:
1. Survey Your Peers
2. Four Corners
3. KWL Chart
1. Chapter 1-12: Reading Check Quizzes with Key
2. Chapter 1-12: Prereading Vocabulary
3. Chapter 1-12: Text Analysis Chapter Questions with Key – Forms A, B, and C
4. Chapter 1-12: Quote Analysis Chapter Handouts with Key – Forms A, B, and C
5. Chapter 1-12: “What Do You Do?” Quickwrites
Literary Element Logs:
1. Characterization Log
2. Symbolism Log
3. Theme Log
End of Unit Activities:
1. Symbolism and Theme Essay with Rubric – Forms A and B
2. Character Journal with Rubric
3. Social Media Project with Rubric
4. Symbolism and Theme Powerpoint Presentation with Rubric
This lesson pack includes Powerpoints with clickable buttons to walk students through all chapter-by-chapter materials for all chapters.
This lesson pack includes answer keys and rubrics for all applicable activities.
I hope that this saves you some time! If you like this unit, please check out some of my other materials here:
Would you like to request another novel plan with similar activities? Leave a comment!