Lord of the Flies is known for its extensive use of symbolism. This group work lesson uses a "jigsaw" structure to encourage students to teach one another the fundamentals of each symbol.
Included in this packet are:
- A lesson plan detailing the process for teaching the assignment
- A PowerPoint presentation on decoding symbolism
- A handout featuring directions for the groups
- A note-taking worksheet for students to use during presentations
- A "teacher's key" that features important analytical observations about the key symbols mentioned in the assignment
- A grading rubric for scoring the students' final products