- Product Description
In this 4-5 week literature teaching guide for Lord of the Flies, Golding's captivating writing style along with the fast-paced plot and richly dynamic characters will captivate even your most reluctant readers. The novel is apocalyptic and savage - a howling microcosm of human society and the evils that tear it apart from within. It's most definitely a novel that today's teens need to experience... and enjoy! This low prep, standards-based unit plan is designed to take your students through Lord of the Flies in a way that the novel comes alive.
Student Experience: Students study and dig into the text with the carefully crafted questions on the active reading guides, and you will be confident that key standards are being addressed. From the modern connections provided such as a Tweet for Me summarizing exercise to the informational text readings that bring in the psychological and historically significant side of the novel, students will recognize the importance of this text as critical in their world. Several classic poetry pairings drive your students toward thinking about the novel's poignant themes in the characters' lives as well as their own. Various other interactive, hands-on, and creative activities will provide you with many ways to engage your students and have them take ownership of their own learning in this three to four week unit plan. All the basics are here, too: reading quizzes, grammar worksheets, journal prompts, vocabulary, final exam, and final project prompts. You can use it all or just use some. This unit in its entirety touches every CCSS writing standard, many literature and info text standards, digital media standards for speaking and listening, and several language standards. Each resource is matched with its standards throughout the pack. Whether students are learning vocabulary words, close reading textual excerpts for literary significance, making text to text or text-world connections through various paired texts, role playing different scenarios, designing 3D maps of the island, or discovering and being rescued from their own beasts within, this unit is jam-packed with resources to bring this classic novel in a modern classroom and make it relevant to teens today - in hopes they will be able to consider and recognize the monsters within and without. It’s classroom-tested and proven to give teachers what they need and students what they want.
- Pre-reading Online or Text-Based Survival Quiz and Craft, PPT presentation
- Teacher notes and summaries for every chapter, editable
- Vocabulary list, sentences, and quiz for every chapter, editable
- Comprehension graphic organizers with text-based questions for every chapter with answers, editable traditional and e-worksheet format for Google
- Pop reading short answer quizzes with answers, editable
- Figurative language worksheets for every chapter with answers, editable traditional and e-worksheet format for Google
- Grammar workouts with answers, editable
- Characterization studies for the main characters
- Close reading with paired ELA skill for every chapter with answers
- Role playing prompts
- Five paired info text lessons paired explicitly with certain chapters (Children at War, Mob Mentality, Bullying, Psychology, Seminal Documents of Conduct)
- Four paired poetry lessons paired explicitly with certain chapters ("We didn't start the fire," "In a dark time," "I remember, I remember," "We wear the mask")
- Beautiful classroom posters with original island photography
- Interactive Plot Review Game
- Final Exam, Multiple Choice, editable
- Short Research Project and Presentation, editable
- Essay Topics Menu Board for each mode
- Short Prompts for Each Chapter, editable traditional and e-worksheet format for Google
- Teacher materials with essential questions and daily planner, editable and Google format
- Three coloring sheets
- Summary sketch notes, editable traditional and e-worksheet format for Google
- Take a tour of my unit guides on Instagram.
- Read about my Island Challenges on my blog.
- Book Clubs for Secondary Classrooms on my blog.
- Book Club Tips for Distance/Remote Learning.
Classroom Success Stories from Teachers Who Have Tried This Resource:
♥ "Top notch resource! I had requested a LOTF unit after seeing that mine needed a facelift. This is an excellent resource to add to my already existing unit to make the novel fun again!"
♥ "Once I purchased, printed, and taught, my students were already making connections from the book to their own life. This unit is relevant and engages them to think! They enjoyed many of the activities provided; and I sincerely appreciated the download organization and common core display for each activity. Thank you, Julie! You're awesome!"
♥ "These worksheets are pleasing to the eye and the questions do a great job of having the students think deeply about the text. I highly recommend this packet. "
♥ "I just finished teaching this unit, and I am delighted with the lesson variety. My students commented over and over how much the character pages helped them. I chose several of the "craftivity" ideas, and my sophomores loved them."
♥ "Great material, it can be adapted to many levels of learning. This unit works well with my other material as I am always trying to get students to do text to self connections. The arrangement of material engages the students - the text to text pairing is great as well. I recommend this unit - everything is ready to go, made my planning a lot easier!"
♥ "I love all the activities in this product. They help the kids make a connection between the text and real life. There are so many DIFFERENT kinds of activities from which to choose which go beyond the same old "questions/answers"worksheets. I love it!"
Interested in more of my literature units? Take a look at these:
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Presto! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Original Cover and Samples Photography by Julie Faulkner Photography
This purchase is for one teacher only. This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives. Art and images documented inside of file.