You have had a wonderful trip to NYC so far! It has been a once in a lifetime opportunity! You and your family have seen a Broadway Show, walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, paid your respects at ground zero, and ate way too many hot dogs. You finally understand that it really IS the city that never sleeps! You awake to find that your parents forgot you at the hotel! You need to get a cab to the airport, but you don't have any money. That's when you realize your dad put money in the hotel safe and forgot it. There is one slight problem though... There are a series of 5 locks on the safe! You must get busy unlocking these locks so that you can make it to the airport before your plane leaves. You will have 45 minutes to unlock the safe and get home!
This digital breakout is intended for reinforcing ratios, proportions, and unit rates.
In this Escape Room-like game, students will interact with a website to find clues and decode puzzles to unlock digital locks to BREAKOUT.
The CCSS seen in this breakout are: 6.RP.A.A, 6.RP.A.2, 6.RP.A.3b
What is a Breakout?
A breakout is a scavenger hunt-like game where players use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open a locked box. Breakouts can be done hands-on with physical locked boxes or digitally using a Google Form. THIS BREAKOUT IS A DIGITAL ONLY BREAKOUT, NO BOXES OR LOCKS NEEDED!
Why Use Breakouts?
1. Breakouts shift the ownership of learning from the teacher to the student.
2. In addition to the content knowledge needed to succeed in a specific game, breakouts require critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication.
3. A breakout provides learners with many opportunities to fail and try again. Every unsuccessful attempt to open a lock forces students to reexamine their information and their thinking.
Why Use Digital Breakouts?
A digital breakout requires no preparation of materials, no time spent setting up, and no purchase of a Breakout EDU kit.
Included in this Breakout Download:
*Breakout website with links to all necessary text and media
*Breakout codes and explanations
*Step by step guide for teachers
*Student Sheet to Show Work
To use this resource you will need to:
1. Have access to electronic devices (desktops, laptops, Chromebooks, iPads, etc.) for students to use or allow students to use their own devices.
2. Have access to the internet.
3. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block out of domain sharing of Google Drive resources (Forms, Docs, Slides, etc.)
Please see the preview file for additional information. PREVIEW IS VERY LIMITED, IT DOESN'T REPRESENT THE FULL DOWNLOAD.
Feedback & Followers
Did you know that you can receive credit towards
future TpT purchases by reviewing this product? If you enjoy this product, please leave a review at the product page or through “My Purchases” under “My Account” at TpT.
Ratings make the TpT world go round. :)