Help! This is an EMERGENCY! I am Space Cadet Tom and I am almost through a 6 year mission to grow crops in greenhouses on the 4th planet from the Sun. Each greenhouse has it's own locking system to protect the crops from the planet's atmosphere and weather, but the system has gone down and I am locked out!! There is a meteor storm approaching and I must secure my crops and leave for Earth before the storm arrives! Help me unlock all the greenhouses so I can save each crop and get them back to Earth to complete my mission.
This digital breakout is intended for reinforcing multiplying and dividing rational numbers, this includes, decimals to the thousandths, fractions, mixed numbers and integers.
In this Escape Room-like game, students will interact with a website to find clues and decode puzzles to unlock digital locks to BREAKOUT and return to Earth. All puzzles involve multiplying and dividing rational numbers.
TEKS 6.3E multiply and divide positive rational numbers fluently (decimals and fractions)
TEKS 6.3D multiply, and divide integers fluently, (one task has integers and absolute value)
What is a Breakout?
A breakout is a scavenger hunt-like game where players use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open a locked box. Breakouts can be done hands-on with physical locked boxes or digitally using a Google Form. THIS BREAKOUT IS A DIGITAL ONLY BREAKOUT, NO BOXES OR LOCKS NEEDED!
Why Use Breakouts?
1. Breakouts shift the ownership of learning from the teacher to the student.
2. In addition to the content knowledge needed to succeed in a specific game, breakouts require critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication.
3. A breakout provides learners with many opportunities to fail and try again. Every unsuccessful attempt to open a lock forces students to reexamine their information and their thinking.
Why Use Digital Breakouts?
A digital breakout requires no preparation of materials, no time spent setting up, and no purchase of a Breakout EDU kit.
Included in this Breakout Download:
*Breakout website with links to all necessary text and media
*Breakout codes and explanations
*Student Sheet to Show Work
To use this resource you will need to:
1. Have access to electronic devices (desktops, laptops, Chromebooks, iPads, etc.) for students to use or allow students to use their own devices. The activity can be done using smartphones.
2. Have access to the internet.
3. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block out of domain sharing of Google Drive resources (Forms, Docs, Slides, etc.)
Please see the preview file for additional information.
Looking for more 6th grade Math Lessons and Activities? Check out these!
Multiply and Divide Integers Google Classroom Activity TEKS 6.3C 6.3DStuck in the 80s Digital Breakout Adding Subtracting Multiplying Divide IntegersAdding and Subtracting Integers Google Classroom TEKS 6.2A 6.2B 6.3C 6.3DAdding and Subtracting Integers Musical Mix-Up TEKS 6.3C 6.3DEntire Learning Cycle on Math Properties of Operations TEKS 6.7D Inc. TechnologyPrime Factorization Predicament Classroom Escape Room Challenge TEKS 6.7AExponent Task Cards QR Codes & Augmented Reality Reinforces Order of OperationsExploring Multiplying by a Fraction TEKS 6.3B Comparing Factors to the Products