Love that Dog is an excellent way to introduce ANALYZING and WRITING poetry.
The book is an easy read and this unit helps teachers to focus on the higher level aspect: Poetic Techniques. This is a rigorous unit that will push students to think deeper!
The unit includes:
1) A “Poetry Club” handout that can be used to analyze any poem
2) A definition handout on poetic structure, sound, and techniques
3) 9 handouts that guide students through each poem and inspire them to write their own poems
4) Sample of a student chart for “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”
5) Several open response questions from the book with lines/charts to write on
6) An essay graphic organizer that helps students compare the poetic techniques of a famous poem to their own
7) A student sample of an Inspired Poetry Book that showcases the famous poem and how it compares to the techniques the student used
See my product: "Poetry Posters: Instant, Vibrant Display! Just Print on Colored Paper!"
It's the perfect companion to any poetry study! It easily makes a wall display of all the poetry terms- structure, sound, and poetic techniques defined!