This NO PREP stations activity presents descriptions of the causes of WWI with visually appealing photos, political cartoons, maps, graphs, etc. This activity will help to increase student growth using an engaging and effective method!
Each station of this NO PREP activity contains a description of one of the causes of WWI. After completing this lesson, students will understand how tensions in Europe led to widespread and rapid warfare. Students will examine each of the following topics: 1 – The War To End All Wars, 2 – Militarism, 3 – Alliances, 4 – Imperialism, 5 – Nationalism, 6 – The Spark: Assassination. Each station contains a brief description, along with visually appealing photos, maps, charts, political cartoons, etc. The lesson is easily adaptable to fit your teaching style. The following methods have proven to be the most successful in my classroom:
1. Hang the information sheets around the class and have students rotate to each sheet.
- This is my favorite because it gets students up and moving. You can assign the worksheet that accompanies this activity, or simply have them summarize each topic as they rotate.
2. Split the students into groups and assign one sheet per group. Have the students read the information sheet and prepare to present the information to the rest of class.
- I assign a number to each group member (number the first group, then start back at 1 for the next group, so that you have multiple 1’s, 2’s, etc. throughout the class) and after students have had adequate time to prepare I tell them all the 2’s are presenting. This method motivates students because they don’t know which group member is presenting until it is time to present.
3. Form groups of 6 and have the students pass around the information sheets.
- I’ve found the best approach for this method is to give students a set amount of time and then have all students pass their sheets to the right when told.
The versatility of this activity allows for several culminating assessments. Typically, once students have completed one of the methods above, I have them pick which cause they believe had the largest impact on the start of the war, and write a brief defense for the topic they picked. Then, I conduct a debate in which students can defend their choice. Another option is to have students write a journal entry from the point of view of a European citizen during pre-war tensions. I encourage them to include as much information from the stations as possible.
I hope you and your students enjoy this activity. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns!
Increase student growth and engagement with intriguing primary source accounts of WWI Weapon Advancements!
WWI Weapon Advancements Stations Activity
Captivating primary source reading passage of WWI fighter pilots
WWI – Death of an Air Ace Primary Source Reading Passage
Increase student growth and engagement with intriguing primary source accounts of the Progressive Era!
The Progressive Movement Era Stations Activity
NO PREP Progressive Movement Era reading passage with response worksheet
The Progressive Movement Era Reading Passage
Riveting primary source account of the violent Homestead Strike
Children in the Coal Mines – A Progressive Movement Primary Source Reading Passage
You and your students will love this engaging Spanish-American War stations activity!
American Imperialism/Spanish-American War Stations Activity
Effective, easy to follow DIFFERENTIATED webquest on the Spanish-American War and American Imperialism
America Becomes a World Power Webquest
Engaging American Imperialism/Spanish-American War Unit BUNDLE. Save time and money while increasing student growth!
American Imperialism/Spanish-American War Unit BUNDLE
You and your students will love this engaging immigration and urbanization stations activity!!
Immigration and Urbanization Stations Activity
Immigration and Urbanization Starter BUNDLE. Save time and energy while increasing student growth and engagement!
Immigration and Urbanization Starter BUNDLE
If you enjoyed this product you will love the engaging Theodore Roosevelt Station Activity
Theodore Roosevelt Stations Activity
You and your students will love this American Indians Stations Activity!
American Indians Stations Activity
Astonishing Westward Expansion primary source reading passage BUNDLE
Westward Expansion Primary Source Reading Passage BUNDLE
Save time and money while increasing student engagement and growth! FULL PREVIEW AVAILABLE! Check it out!
Westward Expansion Unit Bundle
You and your students will love this gripping reading passage about the Invasion of Poland
WWII - Invasion of Poland Reading Passage
Astonishing reading passage of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis - the worst shark attack in history!
Sinking of the USS Indianapolis - The Worst Shark Attack in History
This engagement bundle will save you time and money, while providing engaging, effective activities all year long!
Engagement Activities MEGA BUNDLE
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
- Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
-Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You will now receive email updates about this store.