Engaging Introductions: Hook your students with food!
(Includes Interactive Notebook Activities!)
Why teach with food?
-Everyone loves to eat. My students were always thrilled when I incorporated food into a lesson (especially those who don't have full pantries at home).
-If you can connect it to a skill, then you are helping them build schema. So many students come into school with no schema and very few experiences under their belt (especially in low socio-economic schools).
-If you can connect new learning in an engaging and exciting way, I guarantee the retention rate will be a lot higher!
The Complete EAT.READ.THINK. Series (so far):
MAIN IDEA is like a DOUGHNUT
SEQUENCING is like a COOKIE
COMPARING is like BERRIES
CAUSE AND EFFECT is like an APPLE
INFERENCE is like POPCORN
MAKING CONNECTIONS is like BIRTHDAY CAKE
Eat. Read. Think. Series MEGA BUNDLE
This lesson plan and materials are built around the idea that MAIN IDEA IS LIKE A DOUGHNUT. How? Well, There are many yummy toppings you can add, but they would be hard to eat without a doughnut to put them on. There can be many juicy details to a story, but they are difficult to understand without a main idea to connect to.
Table of Contents (by page):
1. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 1
2. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 2
3. Materials Guide
4. Anchor Chart Poster
5. Mini Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks (INB)
6. Mini CLOZE Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks
7. Essential Question Poster 1
8. Essential Question Poster 2
9. Essential Question Poster 3
10. Sentence Frame 1
11. Sentence Frame 2
12. Concrete Main Idea Practice (Whole Group Poster 1)
13. Concrete Main Idea Practice (Whole Group Poster 2)
14. Concrete Main Idea Practice (Independent Version)
15. Abstract Main Idea Practice (Text Passage w/ Organizer)
16. Main Idea/Detail definition strip for Interactive Notebook header
17. Main Idea Graphic Organizer
18. Doughnut Main Idea Sort Pocket for INB (from Main Idea Pack)
19. Doughnut Main Idea Sorting Cards for INB (from Main Idea Pack)
20. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 1
21. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 2
22. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 3
23. Blank Exit Ticket
Language Arts Interactive Notebooks:
Grammar Interactive Notebook
Reading 2nd Edition Interactive Notebook
Main Idea Interactive Notebook
Synthesis Interactive Notebook
Historical Fiction Interactive Notebook & Anchor Chart Kit
Come see me!