Engaging Introductions: Hook your students with food!
(Includes Interactive Notebook Activities!)
Why teach with food?
-Everyone loves to eat. My students were always thrilled when I incorporated food into a lesson (especially those who don't have full pantries at home).
-If you can connect it to a skill, then you are helping them build schema. So many students come into school with no schema and very few experiences under their belt (especially in low socio-economic schools).
-If you can connect new learning in an engaging and exciting way, I guarantee the retention rate will be a lot higher!
The Complete EAT.READ.THINK. Series (so far):
MAIN IDEA is like a DOUGHNUT
SEQUENCING is like a COOKIE
COMPARING is like BERRIES
CAUSE AND EFFECT is like an APPLE
INFERENCE is like POPCORN
MAKING CONNECTIONS is like BIRTHDAY CAKE
Eat. Read. Think. Series MEGA BUNDLE
This lesson plan and materials are built around the idea that MAKING CONNECTIONS IS LIKE BIRTHDAY CAKE. How? Well, everyone has birthdays! Birthday cake can make people think of their own birthday, a book where a character celebrated a birthday, or a TV show with a birthday party. Just like, a text can make you think of something in your life, events in the real world, or something else you've read.
Table of Contents (by page):
1. Materials Guide
2. Materials Guide
3. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 1
4. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 2
5. Anchor Chart Poster
6. Mini Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks (INB)
7. Mini CLOZE Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks
8. Essential Question Poster 1
9. Essential Question Poster 2
10. Essential Question Poster 3
11. Text to Self Poster
12. Text to World Poster
13. Text to Text Poster
14. Concrete Connections Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
15. Concrete Connections Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
16. Concrete Connections Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
17. Concrete Connections Practice (Anchor Chart Sorting Cards & Answer Key)
18. Concrete Connections Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
19. Concrete Connections Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
20. Concrete Connections Practice (Independent Version)
21. Concrete Connections Practice (Independent Version)
22. Abstract Connections Practice (Text Passage Booklet for INB)
21. Connections Definition Strip for Interactive Notebook Header
22. Sentence Frame 1
23. Sentence Frame 2
24. Connections Graphic Organizer
25. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 1
26. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 2
27. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 3
28. Blank Exit Ticket
Check out my FULL Interactive Notebooks:
-Reading Interactive Notebook Bundle
-Math Interactive Notebook Bundle
-Social Studies Notebooks
Come see me!