This 42-page file includes my "60-Second Skirmish" comprehensive timed drill system. Through its daily use, my grade 5 students improved their fact fluency averages on their quarterly 100-problem, 5-minute multiplication, division, and mixed-fact drills from 38% in August to 92% in May. I developed this system to build confidence, formatting familiarity, and automaticity during our school system's required quarterly fact-fluency drills.
I created three groups of drills: multiplication only, division only, and a multiplication and division mix. Each drill has 20 problems, and students get 60 seconds to complete it. The drills are organized to promote mastery of only 2-3 facts per drill, and to conserve paper (and my limited photocopies), I've organized them to fit 3 on a page. The first drill includes only facts for 0s, 1s, and 2s. Once students master (100%) that drill, they move to a drill with 2s and 3s, followed by 3s and 4s, and so on through a drill for 12s and squares (3 x 3, 4 x 4, 5 x 5…). On each drill page, there is an A, B, and C version with the facts rearranged on each version of the drills.
Each drill includes a box for the drill score (I include a grading scale on my hundreds chart, which students use to grade each other's drills—included in this file), and a separate box for the peer drill-grader to log his/her initials.
Finally, the bottom section of the drill includes boxes for students to record the facts they missed for homework practice (I discuss this in my "tips" file included in this bundle and its preview). They simply snip that portion of the drill off and glue it into their daily planner.
What's included in the 60-Second-Skirmish bundle?
The zipped file includes both Microsoft Word and PDF versions of the following files:
1) a document with implementation tips and information (this is included in the PREVIEW file---please check it out!); I share how I administer drills; how I employ student assistance in distributing, grading, and recording drills; how I teach homework strategies; and more;
2) 60-Second Skirmish multiplication drills for 0s through 12s & squares (in 3 different versions);
3) 60-Second Skirmish division ("Remix") drills for 1s through 12s & squares (in 3 different versions);
4) 60-Second Skirmish multiplication and division mixed ("Mash-Up") drills for 0s through 12s & squares (in 3 different versions);
5) a blank drill recording sheet to document scores and growth (with a sample completion line for reference);
6) a hundreds chart with a grading scale to aid students in peer grading; and
7) a copy of my repetitive recitation homework guidelines as an accountability piece to demonstrate at-home effort.
I hope you enjoy this resource, and of course, if you'd like to contact me with suggestions, edits, comments, or questions, please feel free! =)