For this novel by Lois Lowry here are multiple quizzes and activities focusing on various aspects of the novel. All are usable with lit groups, individual study, or whole class novel reading. It contains -
- one page basic reading comprehension quizzes for Ch. 1 to 3; Ch. 4 to 7; Ch. 8 to 11; Ch. 12 to 14,
- a two page reading comprehension, analysis test for Ch. 15 to 21,
ANSWER KEYS FOR ALL FOUR QUIZZES and the TEST ARE INCLUDED.
- a one page vocabulary list, by chapter grouping,
- a spelling ladder and synonym/antonym exercise for each of the chapter groups (5 pages),
- a chart for tracking the main characters and their individual characteristics,
- another chart for questions that might be asked by the reader, and later what the answer was,
- a student handout - - a three page matrix for mapping out an essay on the theme of the novel,
- a journal response suggestion handout,
- a bookmark matrix that may be run-off on card stock with additional journal response starters.
- a word search puzzle page for the names in the novel,
- teacher ideas and directions.
I have added a poetry connection: two poems for students to read/analyze and emulate by creating their own poems using details from "Messenger."
ALL are attractive, proofread, and student tested.
CCSS - ELA
included in this unit:
RL 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 (My check list for CCSS skills for RL in this unit is included with the file.)
W 2, 3, 4, 5, 10
Please see Preview for two sample pages.