This resource is an introductory guide to academic writing.
Resource includes an overview of MLA In-Text Citation Style and a brief set of Academic Writing Skills exercises designed to teach students to know when and how to cite in MLA format.
• MLA In-Text Citation Overview
• MLA In-Text Citation Examples & Breakdown
• MLA In-Text Citation Exercise
• Building Structured Paragraphs Overview
• Building Structured Paragraphs Exercise
• Citing in Structured Paragraphs Overview
• Citing in Structured Paragraphs Exercise
The material provided here is perfect for easing students into the habits of academic writing with citations.
Completed exercises function as self-generated templates to guide student writing in future assignments. And the overviews provide graphic breakdowns of in-text citations and structured paragraphs to help students visualize and understand exactly what academic writing is made of. As a model of the final steps of the research process, the final activity is challenging for many fledgling academic writers, asking students to create citations from provided material within complete and structured paragraphs.