This comprehensive 3-week unit is aligned to the 9th-10th Grade Band of the Common Core State Standards. It focuses on King's language use and rhetoric and involves both reading and watching the iconic speech.
The unit includes:
* An anticipatory set with primary source photographs
* Student Close Reading Instructions
* Teacher close reading tips and comprehension questions for students
* A Section-Analysis Mini-Presentation Assignment with Rubric
* Figurative Language Graphic Organizer
* Rhetorical Strategies Graphic Organizers
* Socratic Seminar Discussion Questions
* Socratic Seminar Reflection
* Student Response Assignment (Students will write their own argumentative speech, using rhetoric) and Rubric
There are 8 "Lessons" total in the unit, which should last for approximately 15 50-minute class periods.