Six page MODIFIED exam to test student comprehension and analysis of characters, themes, vocabulary, historical background, and plot of Karen Hesse's historical fiction book Out of the Dust. Questions reflect a range of higher-ordered thinking skills.
Five sections of the exam include:
1) Historical background, novel comprehension, and poetry analysis (multiple choice, 3 choices per question)
2) Vocabulary (multiple choice)
3) Plot evaluation and synthesis (match event with part of plot - 6 items total, 3 already filled in)
4) Figurative Language - create an example of simile or personification
5) Essay (three essay questions synthesizing student understanding of the historical context and character development)
***This is a modified version of my Out of the Dust cumulative exam. I used this exam for my Special Education students. Please read the description thoroughly to see if it will meet your needs***