In this engaging unit your students will learn elements of fiction, including plot, character development, writing conventions, reading comprehension strategies, rhyme scheme, as well as higher order thinking skills.
Showing a beloved movie is a great way to introduce your students to the elements of fiction. Keeping in mind the attention span limits, I recommend showing the movie one act (approximately 15-20 minutes) at a time. In this way, your students will learn to “chunk” the story in order to analyze it. As you go through each chunk (or act), you can demonstrate how the plot is formed. As your students write the sentences which comprise the plot, you can demonstrate a variety of sentence structure in context.
Your students will learn elements of fiction, including plot and character development, language, as well as higher order thinking skills.
Common Core Strands Included:
Reading Informational, Reading Literary, Speaking and Listening
1. Plot Summary Presentation (33 Slides)
2. Plot Summary Example (1 Page)
3. Quiz and Answer Key (2 Pages)
4. Story Map and Answer Key (2 Pages)
5. Story Structure Worksheet (2 Pages)
6. Three Level Reading Guide and Answer Key (3 Pages) (Paired or Small Group Option)
7. Character Traits Discussion (13 Slides)
8. Four Traits Discussion Cards (1 Page) (Paired or Small Group Option)
I wish you and your students the very best learning experience with this product.