Also included in
- Music as Poetry and Short Films to teach inferencing, reading and writing skills to middle school students (Printable & Digital) - 33 no prep Grade 6 - 8 ELA lessons include editable lesson plan, student handouts, rubric, answer key, PowerPoint slides, Google Doc and Google Slides for no prep di$60.00$95.00Save $35.00
- Teach high school reading comprehension and analysis skills using music as poetry activities (Printable & Digital): Use song lyrics and music videos to teach EVERY high school reading literature and reading informational text common core state standard to cover entire Grade 9 - 12 English Curric$30.00$47.00Save $17.00
- Use SONG LYRICS to teach EVERY middle school reading literature and reading informational text common core state standard for grade 6 - 8! 15 no prep lessons include editable lesson plan, student handouts, rubric, answer key, PowerPoint slides and Google Slides for no prep distance learning or Googl$30.00$50.00Save $20.00
- Teach the entire grade 9 - 12 English curriculum using song lyrics and inspirational videos (Printable & Digital) - 32 music as poetry and short film lessons include editable lesson plans, student handouts, rubrics, answer keys, PowerPoint slides, Google Docs and Google Slides for no prep distan$65.00$101.00Save $36.00
This bundle is everything you need to teach poetry through music - Use four lyrics and music videos to teach figurative language, literary devices, poetic devices, rhyme scheme, meter poetry analysis and EVERY reading and writing common core skill (Printable & Digital) - Product includes lesson plan, student printables, PowerPoint slides, Google Slides, Google Doc, ANSWER KEY and grading rubric, for no prep music as poetry activities, Google Classroom or distance learning activities for the last week of school activities or any day of the year.
USE 8 MUSIC ANALYSIS GUIDES WITH ANY SONG OR RAP!
Want my Music as Poetry Bundle to teach EVERY Reading Standard with Lyrics?
Product Includes (Printable & Digital):
- Lesson Plan
- Student Printables
- PowerPoint slides
- Google Slides
- Google Doc
- Effortless 3-Point Grading Rubric
- Bell Ringer Activity
- Guided Practice
- Independent Practice
- 4 Songs and Poetry Analysis Graphic Organizers (with Lyric & Music Video Links)
- ANSWER KEY for 4 songs!
- TP-CASTT Poetry Analysis for ANY song
- Figurative Language Analysis for ANY song
- Poetry Analysis Analysis for ANY song
- Common Core Reading Response Questions for ANY song
- Persuasive Writing Prompt for ANY song
- Comparative Writing Prompt for ANY song
- Literary Analysis Writing Prompt for ANY song
- Narrative Writing Prompt for ANY song
- BONUS: Poetic device matching activity with ANSWER KEY
- BONUS: Figurative language matching activity with ANSWER KEY
- BONUS: List of free, printable poems for additional practice/assessment
4 Song Analysis Graphic Organizers with ANSWER KEY, lyric and music video links:
- Along the Watchtower, written by Bob Dylan & performed by Jimi Hendrix
- Symbol in My Driveway, Jack Johnson
- A Milli, Lil Wayne (radio edit clean version - but preview to decide if appropriate)
- Drop the World, Lil Wayne & Eminem (radio edit clean version - but preview to decide if appropriate)
DISCLAIMER: Preview all lyrics and music videos before buying this product as some songs include adult themes and language. I chose to include these lyrics precisely because my students are listening to these songs anyway. It is extremely valuable to teach students to always listen to music through an analytical lens. After these activities, students will never listen to music the same as they make a habit of interpreting the deeper meaning behind seemingly superficial words and themes. This is what creates life-long learners.
This guide allows students to learn/practice:
- Types of Poetry
- Rhyme scheme
- Poetry annotation
- Poetry analysis
- Figurative language / poetic devices (symbolism, simile, allusion, etc.)
- Literary elements (tone/mood)
- Text-to-Self connections
- Text-to-Text connections
- Text-to-World connections
Simply click the links to print the lyrics and/or play the music videos.
Middle and High School students will love the lyrics and easy-to-follow guides. Play the music videos for extra engagement!
Use the poetry analysis answer key for mini lesson, guided practice or indpendnent practice grading purposes.
Want one year of inspirational quote bell ringers?
Want fun and engaging Reading Skills lessons?
- GRADE 3 - 5 READING WITH FILM CLIPS BUNDLE
- GRADE 6 - 8 READING WITH FILM CLIPS BUNDLE
- GRADE 9 - 12 READING WITH FILM CLIPS BUNDLE
Want fun and engaging Writing Skills Lessons?
- Teach Every Reading Skill with Lyrics BUNDLE
- Weekly Persuasive Writing with Inspirational Quotes
- Weekly Literary Analysis Writing with Music and Film Clips
- Weekly Comparative Writing with Film Clips
- Celebrity Tweet Grammar Bundle
THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE SONGS, ARTISTS, RECORD COMPANIES, LINKS OR OTHER ENTITIES; IT IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
Aligned to the Common Core Standards for Reading Literature for grades 6-12.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
CULTURALLY RELEVANT READING & WRITING
Why wait? Use these analyzing song lyrics end of year music activities to use lyrics and music videos to teach figurative language, literary device and poetic device (rhyme, meter) analysis (Printable & Digital).