FOUR BEAT RHYTHM CARDS AND SOLFA CARDS
INSTRUCTIONS for both sets of cards:
These numbered flash cards offer many opportunities to reinforce rhythmic and solfa patterns. After the students are familiar with the patterns use the cards in the following ways (note especially #4 & #5 with the students divided into teams – much enthusiasm!)
1. Spread the cards out face up, later face down, on a table. Teacher chooses a card to clap or sing. Students must identify the card by number. Later the students choose a card to clap or sing or choose a card for another student.
2. Stand the cards up, face up, later face down around the room. Teacher chooses a card to clap or sing. Students must identify the card by number and stand beside it. Later the students choose a card to clap or sing or choose a card for another student.
3. Put the cards in a pile, face up or down. Students go through the pile, taking turns identifying the patterns.
4. Divide the students into 2 teams. Placing the cards face up on the table or around the room, teacher claps or sings one card. First team to identify the pattern gets a reward. VERY POPULAR!
RHYTHM CARDS only
5. Divide the students into 2 teams. Team 1 gets a rhythm card, team 2 a different rhythm card. Teacher establishes the beat, then indicates first team 1, then team 2 to clap their card. When they are confident the teacher, again giving the beat, asks them to perform together, rewarding them if they can finish at the same time! VERY POPULAR!
SOLFA CARDS only
1 – 4. Use numbers 1 to 4 above with solfa cards.
5. Teacher uses hand signs. Students must identify the appropriate card by number and repeat the hand signs. Later, students perform the hand signs for each other.