Number 7 in my series “Songs for the Kodaly Classroom”
ta ti-ti introduce to-o d r m l s pattern.
First song with a half note, 16 bars divided into 4 phrases,
verse and chorus.
Verse 2: Sunny valley, sunny valley, sunny valley low.
When you’re in that sunny valley, sing it soft and slow. Chorus.
Verse 3: Stormy ocean, stormy ocean, stormy ocean wide. When you’re on that deep blue sea there’s no place you can hide. Chorus.
Worksheets and puzzle.
SING & PLAY:- song and game
- pass heart stuffy around the circle to beat
- conduct emphasizing
first beat of each bar
(strong & weak beats)
- mark accents on first beat of each bar (p1)
- introduce to-o hand sign - 2 beat rhythm cards (p8) TpT
- clap rhythm using tas, ti-tis & to-o - Pizza (p9) TpT
- 2 lines, clap alternate phrases - Dominos (p10) TpT
- fill in rhythm (p4 & 5)
- sing words with hand signs, students imitate
- sing solfa with hand signs
- play on tone blocks - one block each
- fill in rhythm and solfa (p6)
SOLFA ON STAFF:
- write in solfa above notes on staff (p7)
FORM: A B C C1
- in circle, step in = 1st phrase; out = 2nd phrase
- in circle alternating, odds in, evens in
- solfa patterns, form, all phrases end in to-o (p11)
- song puzzle (pp12 - 15)
- quiz cards (p16)