Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
For use at the end of Act I in Macbeth.
Materials Included in Macbeth Irony Lesson
• Irony Excerpts – Word Document – 6 excerpts from Act I of Macbeth. Each excerpt is an example of irony in Macbeth. Each excerpt includes a brief abstract in italics orienting students to the scene.
• Irony Worksheet – Word Document – Worksheet which corresponds to Irony excerpts. Worksheet requires that students create a “modern translation” of the excerpt, identify the kind of irony occurring in the scene (dramatic, verbal, situational) and explain how/why the scene is ironic.
• Macbeth Irony Lesson – Powerpoint. Visually rich presentation to be used at the conclusion of Act I of Macbeth. Includes Bell Ringer, 1-2-3 Strategies for comprehending Shakespeare, and Irony Definitions/Examples.
Directions for Macbeth Irony Lesson
1. Prior to the beginning of class, print the “Irony Excerpts” document and post in order around the room. If you have a particularly large class you might consider printing two sets and color coding them, so that you can keep student groups smaller.
2. Use the “Macbeth Irony Lesson” for whole group instruction. I suggest having students take notes on the presentation, as it gives students reading strategies for Shakespeare and also includes definitions/examples of irony.
3. Distribute “Irony Worksheet” and break students into groups and assign them to a station. I recommend groups no larger than 3-4. I also recommend setting a time limit for each station and giving a brief run-down of station rules (no talking to other groups, don’t move to the next station until instructed, etc). Typically, I project an online timer on the board so students are aware of how much time they have left. These stations take, on average, about ten minutes.
4. Have students rotate until all stations are complete. For a wrap up I usually review the excerpts and discuss as a class.
I am currently building my store and spent ample time creating this activity. Please leave a review if you enjoyed this free activity.