This complete term-long unit of work includes:
* Two-page discussion of Shakespearean tragedy and the key themes involved in how Shakespeare handles tragedy
* Plot-diagram showing the structure of a Shakespearean tragedy
* Overarching themes and questions involved in Macbeth, especially: ideas of Fate and 'weirdness'; the reversal of natural order; equality and manipulation in marriage; presentation of women; the play's meditation on masculinity; uses of the foil characters; loyalty; and evil.
* Sample essay questions suitable for Year 8-10
* Scene-by-scene notes and writing/speaking activities
* Consideration of the play as theatrical spectacle
* Where appropriate, links to websites and engaging online resources which will broaden students' understanding of the world of the play and of Shakespeare's intellectual heritage.
Teachers may also purchase the teaching program for this unit which programs the activities in the unit across a 10-week term and includes the outline of a suggested assessment task.