This free product, by It’s Not Rocket Science,
is an investigative activity to help students understand the presence of macromolecules in different foods that we eat. Students will solve a murder mystery using their knowledge of macromolecules, analyzing the presence of macromolecules in different meals and will then test for the presence of these macromolecules in the evidence sample from the scene of the crime. Students will use this information to determine the murderer and answer analysis questions.
How can I use this?
• Practice for mastery of macromolecules
• Fun review activity of macromolecules as you prepare for your unit test
What is included?
• 4 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 4 pages of student handouts
• 5 lab station signs
• Answer Key
• Editable template of the main student handout so you can customize the murder scenario to take place where you live! (The kids LOVE when this is personalized!)
How much class time will this take?
For the average student this takes 50 minutes to 1 hour. Advanced students will finish more quickly, so it is encouraged to have an additional activity for those who finish 5 or 10 minutes early. Check out my Biology Basics Taboo Cards
as a great option for fast finishers!
Is this aligned to Next Generation Science Standards?
YES! All of my products are aligned with specific Next Generation Science Standards. Specifically, it is aligned with HS-LS1-6: Construct and revise an explanation based on evidence for how carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen from sugar molecules may combine with other elements to form amino acids and/or other large carbon-based molecules.
What if I am looking for something different for macromolecules?
Check out my Macromolecule Diet and Exercise Simulation
as another fun and interactive activity!
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Biology Basics Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking here!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add at least one new product every week so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at 50% off by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.