Madeline’s Rescue, by Ludwig Bemelmans, is a Caldecott Award winning classic Madeline story! Our Text-Dependent Questions are written specifically for this story and are based on the Common Core State Standards for Reading Literature 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7. The questions will help you model close reading as you demonstrate returning to the text for answers--ultimately discovering the central message of the story. Pair-sharing prompts are included to facilitate discussion.
Make your read aloud time even more productive with our Close Reading Worksheet specifically designed to guide young students to the places in the text where answers can be found – great for pairs or independent work! An answer key is provided for teacher reference but can also be used for handwriting practice or for modified work. A culminating writing activity takes your lesson “to the Max”! Using the prompt, “Somebody Wanted …But …So …Then,” students complete the narrative writing scaffold then retell the story in their own words on the “final copy” page in fulfillment of Writing standard 3.
Included in this packet:
• Text-Dependent Question card
• Close Reading worksheet and answer key
• Writing Activity: Retell the Narrative
The Text-Dependent Questions…
• Address multiple Common Core State Standards (CCSS RL 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7)
• Include pair-sharing prompts
• Help model close reading as they guide readers back into the text for answers
• Provide correct answers for teacher reference
The Close Reading Worksheet…
• Flows naturally from the class discussion
• Includes page numbers to guide students back into the text for answers
• Includes handwriting guidelines to help young learners with penmanship
• Answer key included for teacher reference
• Answer key may be used for handwriting practice or for modified work
The Narrative Writing Activity
• Helps you teach CCSS Writing 3 – write narratives recounting two or more sequenced events, including some details regarding what happened, temporal words and some sense of closure.
• Complete the writing scaffold using the strategy: Somebody Wanted…But…So…Then
• Final Copy: Students write a narrative summary of the story