Students love this wonderful book series that Mary Pope Osborne has written of the Magic Tree House. This Common Core aligned packet is over #2 in the series, The Knight at Dawn.
This packet contains ten lessons. You can choose which ones and how many you have your students complete. Your decision will probably be based on what you want your students to know and how old or advanced they are. For several of the lessons, there are two choices for how students learn—one way is for younger or less advanced academic students and one way is for older or more advanced academic students.
Included in this packet is an Independent Reading Contract for students to do this. You can duplicate the lessons on the back and check the ones you want students to complete.
Next, you decide if the students will complete lessons as a whole class or at a literacy station or as individual students at home as part of their Independent Reading Contract.
• All teacher instructions
• Who, What, Where, When, Why and How Questions (for older or more able students) with KEY OR Circle the Answer (for younger or less able students) and Write the Answer to the Questions
• Sequence of Events (two sets—one for older or more able students, one for younger or less able students) with KEYs
• Comparing and Contrasting a Character (Annie or Jack) to the student with KEY
• Writing a Prediction
• Writing a Friendly Letter to a Knight (writing a letter with correct punctuation)
• Find the Nouns and Adjectives with KEY
• Forming Frequently Occurring Plural Nouns That Change Spelling (Irregular Nouns) with KEY
• Drawing and Writing About Your Favorite Part of the Book
• Word Search with KEY
• Writing an Opinion Paper with a Graphic Organizer
Have fun with these lessons!
I offer 10 lessons for Magic Tree House #1: Dinosaurs Before Dark in my store at www.TeachersPayTeachers.com/Store/Elyse-Allen.