A two-week literacy unit of poetry planning for Years 3 and 4, based on performing poems set in imaginary words and built around the new curriculum literacy objectives.
In this unit, pupils will read and listen to magical world poems by Lewis Carroll and they will consider how the sounds and language patterns come alive when the poems are read aloud. Children will work towards creating their own magical poems set in imaginary worlds and then they will perform them aloud, adding sound effects.
The aims of the unit for pupils are:
• To listen to classic and narrative poems being read aloud
• To identify patterns of language and recurring phrases
• To prepare a poetry performance by planning actions or props
• To perform a poem to an audience
• To engage with a poet’s use of imaginative language to create magical worlds.
The PDF file contains 10 full literacy lesson plans, copies of the poems and all accompanying pupil resources