This activity is aligned with MS -ESS 2 -1 and can be used to model that magnetic stripes found by mid-ocean ridges are evidence that sea floor spreading occurs at these plate boundaries.
*The activity has students create a model of the magnetic stripes found at mid-ocean ridges (divergent boundaries). Students label the divergent boundary at the center and the convergent boundaries at the sides to help them better understand the two types of boundaries. (Background information on the discovery of this is included)
* The activity also includes background on all three types of plate boundaries (convergent, divergent, and transform boundaries) with assessment questions that students can complete as a follow up.
* The Word Document includes the following:
- All student directions to create the model.
- Magnetic Stripes that are pre-made for student use.
- Plate Boundary Background Information
- Assessment Questions