Yr5 – English > Understand the difference between main and subordinate clauses and that a complex sentence involves at least one subordinate clause.
25 pages of activities, guidance notes and answers developing thinking skills and decision-making. The skills developed include critical thinking, co-operative learning, higher order thinking and grammar.
(Australian Curriculum No ACELA1507)
ACELA1507 – Understand The Difference Between Main And Subordinate Clauses: This booklet of higher-order thinking activities is designed to develop a deeper understanding of grammar and clauses. The content covered includes clear explanations of sentences, main and subordinate clauses and conjunctions. The activities come with teaching notes and worksheets which can be used to consolidate or assess student understanding. Suggested answers are provided.
The content is aligned to the Australian Curriculum content descriptor ACELA1507
The teaching activities and guidance notes include:
= Pre-learning activity to assess current knowledge and understanding
- Definitions of sentences and clauses
- 321:RIQ activity
- Explanation of simple sentences
- Explanation of subject and predicate
- Explanation of main and sub-ordinate clauses
- Explanation of simple and complex sentences
- Activities and worksheets to consolidate understanding
- Co-operative learning activities to assess understanding
- Exploration of the differences between main and subordinate clauses
- Generalisation activities to introduce conjunctions in complex sentences
- Extension Activities
- Concluding Activity