This bundle of activities focuses on identifying the main idea and supporting details of various reading passages. Several activities include test prep elements, because main idea questions tend to appear frequently on standardized tests. It is designed to teach upper elementary and middle school students how to analyze a reading passage for its main idea in a way that will keep them engaged.
As an added bonus, I created 5-6 days of LESSON PLANS
that outline how and when I use each of the included resources! You don't have to follow the lesson plan format I provide, of course, but it might be helpful in providing a bit of direction for you.
I invite you to check out the preview of each individual resource:
1. Main Idea and Supporting Details Craftivity: Ice Cream Cones
2. Main Idea and Supporting Details PowerPoint (with a companion handout!)
3. Main Idea and Details Concentration Game
4. I Have Who Has: Topic and Details Game
5. Main Idea and Best Title Worksheets: Read, America, Read (test prep)
(I use this as an assessment!)
6. Main Idea and Details: Two FREE Passages
7. Main Idea Task Cards (includes 30 cards!)
8. Main Idea and Details Worksheets: 5 passages with graphic organizers!
9. Main Idea and Details Foldable Craftivity: Our Amazing Earth
Are you looking for main idea resource to use with 2nd and 3rd grade students? CLICK HERE to check out my bundle for 2nd and 3rd graders.
Are you looking for a main idea intervention
resource, or main idea activities designed to be used with a small group of students
? You might want to check out my set of Main Idea Tri-folds! CLICK HERE!
By Deb Hanson 2015
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
As such, it is for use in one classroom only. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!