Are your students struggling to identify the main idea? Can they tell the difference between the main idea and supporting details? Are they able to identify which detail does not support the main idea? This flipchart is a great teaching tool to help them master this important skill! It contains both teaching slides and practice slides. Practice slides add difficulty as they progress!
- Title Slide
- Main Idea slide
- Main Idea "Helpful Hints"
- Supporting Details
- Drag and Drop slide to move three sentences into main idea and 2 supporting details. (two practice problems)
- Drag and Drop slides (3) to move four sentences into main idea, 2 supporting details, and one sentence that doesn't belong.
- Main Idea and Supporting Details practice slides (3) using a short passage. Main idea and details boxes are blank and are designed for you to write in the information (using the Smartboard tools).
- Since these slides aren't story-specific, you can reuse them with a variety of stories!
Please make sure you have the correct software to open this file. I created it in Activinspire.
Check out my other flipcharts!