This is a great activity to do with a small group or pair of students.
1) Print off cards (1 set per group or pair of students)
2) Have groups identify General Heading Words, then sort specific detail words under each heading
3) Then have each group create a main idea statement on blank cards for each group they have created
4) Have students create paragraphs centered around the main idea statement they created using the details in their groupings.
5) Have students switch and find others main idea statements and highlight in a specific color.