Also included in
- This main idea bundle has everything you need to keep your second and third grade students engaged as they read passages and identify the main idea and supporting details in the text. It includes 27 practice passages! Several activities include test prep elements because main idea questions tend toPrice $13.50Original Price $23.50Save $10.00
Students will read a nonfiction passage and identify the main idea and three key supporting details. Students will identify the best title for a passage, based on its main idea.
Teaching students to identify the main idea and supporting details can be incredibly challenging! It doesn't have to be tedious and boring, too! If you are looking for a step-by-step PowerPoint that can be used to introduce main idea and supporting details to your students in a way that will grab their attention, you've come to the right place! I use ice cream cone graphics so that students will build a meaningful connection that will help them remember and understand how details support the main idea! The first half of this 49-slide PowerPoint lesson explains how a main idea is supported by details. The second half of the PowerPoint features four nonfiction practice passages. With each passage, students identify the main idea, three supporting details, and the best title for the passage.
PowerPoints filled with visuals are ideal for teaching new content to students because PowerPoints tend to be highly engaging and concepts can be easily broken down into understandable chunks of information. But let's face it... they are time-consuming to create! Fortunately, now you have an option of using one that is already complete, kid-tested, and ready to go for you!
THESE ARE THE TOPICS COVERED IN THIS POWERPOINT:
Slides 1-5- Introduction and Definition of Main Idea
Slides 6-8- Definition of Supporting Details
Slides 9-19- Ice Cream Cone Analogies Explained
Slides 20-22- Review
Slides 23-27- Main Idea and Topic are not the Same! Examples provided.
Slides 28-40- Four Practice Passages (multiple-choice format)
What is the main idea of the passage you just read?
Each passage also has a follow-up slide identifying the details in each passage.
Slides 41-49- Let's go back to our same four passages, but this time we will identify the best title for the passage.
(Multiple Choice format)
**These questions are often found on standardized tests!**
***A PowerPoint companion handout is also included in this file. Students can follow along and record answers on this handout as you progress through the PowerPoint! The companion handout is available in both printable format or digital format. The digital version is compatible with Google Slides.**
Here's what teachers like you have to say about this PowerPoint:
- Jordan H. said, "This is the perfect resource to use to introduce main idea!! My students found it so engaging and really developed their understanding of main idea while completing it."
- Connie S. said, "My students really needed help with Main Idea, so I decided to look at materials for a lower grade level than 6th grade. This lesson fit the bill perfectly! I used it to scaffold instruction...Ultimately, this material served as the foundation of our study of 6th-grade main idea, and the class progressed from here to grade-level materials. Awesome!"
- Angie B. said, "Teaching main idea to my students is always a bit challenging because they struggle so much. This lesson made it easy to teach and understand. My students had fun and felt successful!"
- Kaitlyn M. said, "An awesome resource and does a great job of clearly explaining the main idea and details! Love that it breaks it down with an analogy and that it includes several short stories and follow-up questions!"
Fourth and fifth-grade teachers, I recently created another Main Idea PowerPoint just for your grade levels! Click HERE to check it out!
I have several more items related to MAIN IDEA available in my store. (Just click on the links below to take a peek!)
Copyright by Deb Hanson
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher is prohibited. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on an Internet site that is not password protected are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!