Also included in
- Printable and digital reading centers! Reading centers are the perfect way to have your students practice reading skills in isolation of novels and independent reading.Note: All of the puzzles now include digital versions! See pages 3-4 of each PDF for details and links to access the digital reading$24.00$36.00Save $12.00
- This is a heavily discounted MEGA bundle of all of the reading centers and games for 4th and 5th grade that I have available in my TeachersPayTeachers store. Here are the bundles included in this MEGA bundle (click on each resource to read more about the centers included):Fiction Reading Comprehensi$116.00$232.00Save $116.00
Puzzles are not just for primary grades or math. These main idea puzzles will not only allow your students to practice 4th/5th grade level main idea skills, but they will also be engaged with the novel format.
Note: This main idea activity now includes DIGITAL reading puzzles as well as printable ones. See pages 3-4 of the PDF for the details and links..
This reading center resource includes 16 main idea puzzles to practice determining the main idea of nonfiction text.
There are only four main topics (rhinoceros, the Grand Canyon, astronauts, and Babe Ruth) and four texts for each topic to keep the students from simply selecting the main idea that has the same topic.
Three different direction versions are included to help you best use this resource for your students.
Version 1: The students will read each text and match the puzzle piece that shows the main idea of the text.
Version 2: The students will read the texts, write the main ideas in their own words, and then find the puzzle pieces that match.
Version 3: This version is identical to Version 2, except optional distractor main idea puzzle pieces are included.
Directions and specific recording sheets for the different versions can be found following the puzzle pieces.
For the digital main idea activity, the students will read two texts per slide and find the matching main idea card. There are TWO versions:
To make this main idea activity work in a digital format, the template has been modified and reimaged for optimal digital use.
There are TWO versions:
•Version 1 – Advanced – 6 Main Idea choices per slide (the extras are distractors)
•Version 2- Scaffolded – 4 Main Idea choices per slide (all four will be used when the student completes all the texts for that main topic).
This digital main idea activity has been created for use with Google Slides. Please see the preview to see the digital main idea puzzles.
Need More Digital Reading Activities for 4th and 5th Grade?
- Self- Grading Digital Reading with Google Forms
- Digital Reading Activities for Grades 4-5
- 4th and 5th Grade Reading Intervention
- 4th and 5th Grade Digital Reading Review
- Digital Theme Activities
- Digital Inference Activities
- Digital Poetry Activities
- Digital Text Structure Activities
- Digital Color by Reading Activities
- Digital Reading Sorts
- Digital Reading Anchor Charts
- Digital Reading Flipbooks
- Digital Reading Notebooks