PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
These main idea and supporting details passage, worksheets, and graphic organizer use an informational text based on our hip-hop song about the history of Hip Hop and rap music. Students will practice identifying the main idea and its supporting details while learning about the history of the urban art. The main idea and details activities in this informational text have been redesigned from our Compare and Contrast Nonfiction Passage, History of Hip Hop Music Lesson and Song to give students practice with finding the main idea and supporting details in different sections of the song lyrics.
The song for this activity is written as a reading passage that explores how two founding fathers and a mother of Hip Hop contributed to the urban art, and how it developed into a unified sound. If your students enjoy rap or hip-hop music, they will love this reading lesson.
Listen to the song in the preview!
Students will listen to the song while reading the lyrics and then find the main idea for each section of the song lyrics presented. Students will also identify the supporting details that represent the main idea of each selected section of the song lyrics. A graphic organizer for identifying the main idea and its supporting details is also included as an activity.
This activity includes:
- the song lyrics
- 1 main idea and supporting details, graphic organizer writing activity with 3 sections
- 6 identify the main idea, multiple-choice questions with the answer key
- 3 identify the supporting details, multiple-choice questions with the answer key
- 1 "Main Idea on Beast Mode!" challenge activity where students will identify the main idea of the entire song using their main idea and supporting details graphic organizer
- 3 extension "Beast Mode!" activities where students are challenged to create a dance for the song lyrics, illustrate the lyrics through art, or dramatize the song by acting out the lyrics.
How to use this activity:
- Read and discuss the "What's the Main Idea?" section of the activity on page 1 with students.
- Have students preview the song lyrics on pages 3 and 4 to understand how the song lyrics are sectioned.
- Play the song and have students follow along with the lyrics.
- Pause the song after Verse 1A is finished
- Complete the graphic organizer on page 1 together as a class for Verse 1A. Ask students for supporting details to complete the graphic organizer. Brainstorm together as a class to summarize the main idea as one sentence based on the chosen supporting details.
- Play the remainder of the song and have students complete the remaining graphic organizer activities. Review student answers as a class when students are finished.
- Have students complete the remaining activities listed above independently. Review as needed or refer students to the instructions on page 1 for help.
- The answer key is located on page 11.
- Have students choose an activity from the "Beast Mode!" activities section when all of the main idea and supporting details activities are complete. Students may work in groups or individually for these activities.
You may also like:
*Leave a review if you liked our product.*
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
*Music credit: Dj TeeTee-Hip Hop instrumental (Scratch Hook) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ou14XRdFUw&t=0s&index=29&list=PL9N2x6W3DbwS3RkkFETyIKRjHjAHUl6F6
*Photo By Bigtimepeace [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Herc_on_the_Wheels_of_Steel.JPG
*Photo By Mika-photography [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], from Wikimedia Commons