PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
These main idea and supporting details passages, worksheets, and graphic organizer use an informational text based on our Molly Pitcher biography song. Students will practice identifying the main idea and its supporting details while learning about Mary Ludwig Hays, a woman who fought in the American Revolutionary War and became known as the legendary "Molly Pitcher." The main idea and details activities in this informational text have been redesigned from our Women in the American Revolution: Molly Pitcher reading activity to give students practice with finding the main idea and supporting details in different sections of the song lyrics.
Listen to the song in the preview!
The song for this activity is written as a reading passage that tells the historical account of Mary Ludwig Hays, including the folklore surrounding her as the legend of Molly Pitcher. Students will listen to the song, read the lyrics, and find the main idea for each section of the song lyrics presented. Students will also identify the supporting details that represent the main idea of each selected section of the song lyrics. A graphic organizer for identifying the main idea and its supporting details is also included as an activity.
This activity includes:
- the song lyrics
- 1 finding the main idea practice question
- a main idea and supporting details, graphic organizer writing activity
- 4 identify the main idea, multiple-choice questions with the answer key
- 1 identify the supporting details, multiple-choice questions with the answer key
- 1 "Main Idea on Beast Mode!" challenge activity where students will identify the main idea of the entire song using their main idea and supporting details graphic organizer
- 3 extension "Beast Mode!" activities where students are challenged to create a dance for the song lyrics, illustrate the lyrics through art, or dramatize the song by acting out the lyrics.
How to use this activity:
- Read and discuss the "What's the Main Idea?" section of the activity on page 1 with students.
- Have students preview the song lyrics on pages 3 and 4 to understand how the song lyrics are sectioned.
- Play the song and have students follow along with the lyrics.
- Pause the song after Verse 1A is finished
- Complete the practice question on page 1 together as a class for Verse 1A using the graphic organizer on page 2. Ask students for supporting details to complete the graphic organizer. Brainstorm together as a class to summarize the main idea as one sentence based on the chosen supporting details.
- Play the remainder of the song and have students complete the remaining graphic organizer activities. Review student answers as a class when students are finished.
- Have students complete the remaining activities listed above independently. Review as needed or refer students to the instructions on page 1 for help.
- The answer key is located on page 9.
- Have students choose an activity from the "Beast Mode!" activities section when all of the main idea and supporting details activities are complete. Students may work in groups or individually for these activities.
You may also like:
*Leave a review if you liked our product.*
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.