Do you have a range of readers in your 4th or 5th grade grade classroom? Do you need differentiated reading activities that are not worksheets or just passages? This differentiated reading resource includes 24 task cards for identifying the main idea of informational text.
This set of identifying main idea task cards is differentiated in two ways: with leveled texts and differentiated directions. Note: The Google Forms are only multiple choice and not differentiated by directions (only by text level).
The texts are included at The first set, with the green outline, is written at a 4th/5th grade reading level based on lexile ranges. The second set, with the red outline, is written at a 2nd/3rd grade reading level.
- Green Outline – 4th and 5th Grade Reading Level
- Red Outline – 2nd and 3rd Grade Reading Level
**Due to copyright and TOU, lexile ranges are not listed.
The directions and recording sheets are differentiated.
- Version A: The students determine the main ideas.
- Version B: The students identify the main ideas and chose the statements that best represent the main ideas. The choices are on the recording sheet.
- Version C: The students determine the main ideas and write details that support the main ideas.
- Version D: The students determine the main ideas and write possible titles.
***Mix and match the directions and the levels of text to best meet the needs of your readers.
This resource now includes Google Form Access for digital learning. See page 3 of the PDF for the details and links.
There are FOUR forms in all. Each set (Set A – 4th/5th Grade and Set B – 2nd/3rd Grade) are divided further into A and B sets (each with 12 questions). This will allow you to use these task cards for two assignments and not bombard your students with too many questions at once.
The google forms are set to be self-grading and allow for immediate student feedback. Feel free to change the settings to meet your needs after copying the forms to you drive.
The possibilities for use of these informational text structures task cards are numerous. Here are a few ideas:
- Literacy Stations
- Differentiated Reading Centers
- Small Group Reading Instruction
- Around the Room Reading Review
- SCOOT Review
- Independent Practice
Need more resources for main idea?
- Main Idea Supplemental Pack (pairs well with these task cards.)
- Main Idea Reading Centers
- Main Idea Reading Puzzles.
- Main Idea Reading Spinner Centers.
- Main Idea Flipbook
You may also like: