This hands-on reading unit will help you teach main topic, main idea or central idea, and key supporting details in your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade classroom with any informational text!
THIS UNIT INCLUDES:
- a hands-on mini lesson
- center activity (2 versions)
- differentiated interactive notebook (3 levels)
- differentiated folded booklets (3 levels)
- writing task
- differentiated assessment (3 levels)
- Interactive notebook pages are included for those classrooms who utilize notebooks while folded booklets are provided for those classrooms who do NOT utilize notebooks.
- Both main idea and central idea wording are included due to variation in standards.
- Mini-Lesson Engagement Activity: Students will learn about main topic, main idea or central idea, and key details using a hands-on jigsaw puzzle.
- Center Activity: Students will complete a puzzle and tell the main idea and details of the puzzle with partners or cooperative learning groups. Then they will complete the same activity and organizer with any text.
- Differentiated Independent Practice: Students will complete a differentiated interactive notebook activity and/or a folded booklet on main idea and details to use with any text and differentiated at 3 different levels.
- Writing Task: Students will complete a written response about main topic, main idea or central idea, and key details using any text.
- Differentiated Assessment: Students will complete a graphic organizer on main idea and details using a provided text that is differentiated at 3 levels.
Please download the PREVIEW file to get an in-depth look at all that's included in this download!
Interested in a COMPLETE SYSTEM for assessing students in reading using ANY text?
- Common Core Reading Graphic Organizers - 2nd Grade
- Common Core Reading Interactive Notebook - 2nd Grade
- Common Core Digital Graphic Organizers - 2nd Grade
You might also be interested in:
Jamie Rector from 2nd Grade Stuff
Blog // Facebook // Instagram // Pinterest // Email List // FREE FB Group
The Common Core Standards were developed and written by the NGA.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.