30 pages of practice with main idea and details.
- categorize words/phrases into groups and come up with a title for the group (ex: fruits)
- graphic organizers for main ideas and supporting details from paragraphs
- come up with titles for paragraphs based on main idea and supporting details
- read paragraphs and decide which sentence does not belong
- main idea maze (highlight sentences that support a given main idea)
- writing based on a given main idea
Uses "table" analogy (anchor image on cover page) - main idea is the tabletop, details are the legs - details SUPPORT the main idea.
Can be printed and bound into a book for each student.
Gradually increases complexity and individual practice, to be used over time.