Use these activities for main idea and supporting details to teach how to identify the main topic and retell key details of a text and also how to identify the main topic of a multi paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
- Main topic anchor chart
- Main idea anchor chart
- Main idea OR main topic mystery bags activity: put clues into a TOP SECRET mystery bag or envelope, and students use the clues to figure out the main idea or main topic
- Sentence Strips: cut apart sentence strips and have students put them into a paragraph where the main idea is listed first... You can also make this into a race between groups or tables of students!
- Main Idea Puzzles - cut apart puzzles for students to put together and find the main idea
- Main Idea Scrambles - cut & paste worksheets for finding the main idea
- Reading Passages: four one paragraph passages with differentiated options for writing main idea and details (Option 1: cut and paste. Option 2: write it out.)
- Lesson ideas & organizers to go with The Important Book mentor text
- Seven Printables: different organizers to work on main idea and supporting details (4 various flip flap books)
If you like this product, you might also want to check out my Sentence Surgery unit to help you teach complete sentence writing!
Need more graphic organizers for any fiction or non-fiction text? Check out my Monthly Reading Response Menus!