Do you need an engaging way to teach main idea and supporting details? Rap songs are your answer!
Based on history rap songs, these activities will while they practice main idea and details skills. Easily incorporate them into independent activities or complete them together as a class lesson.
Listen to the songs with subtitles on YouTube using the links below.
A mix of fun topics that kids will love!
These passages and songs cover:
Teach reading skills to your students in a way that they will enjoy!
Kids love music and will certainly enjoy identifying the main idea and supporting details using these rap songs. Students will listen to each song while reading the lyrics and then find the main idea for each section of the song lyrics presented. Students will also identify the supporting details that represent the main idea of each selected section of the song lyrics. A graphic organizer for identifying the main idea and its supporting details is also included as an activity.
A variety of reading activities with the answer keys!
This bundle includes everything listed below. Click the links above for more details.
- the song lyrics
- main idea and supporting details, graphic organizers for writing activities
- multiple-choice, identify the main idea questions with the answer key per passage
- multiple-choice, identify the supporting details questions with the answer key per passage
- "Main Idea on Beast Mode!" challenge activities where students will identify the main idea of the entire song using their main idea and supporting details graphic organizers
- "Turn and Talk" activities that challenge students to discuss each reading passage.
How to use these activities:
*Note: We recommend beginning with the Molly Pitcher main idea activity as it includes a guided, practice activity.
- Read and discuss the "What's the Main Idea?" section of the activity on page 1 with students.
- Have students preview the song lyrics on pages 3 and 4 to understand how the song lyrics are sectioned.
- Play the song and have students follow along with the lyrics.
- Pause the song after Verse 1A is finished.
- Complete the practice question on page 1 together as a class for Verse 1A using the graphic organizer on page 2. Ask students for supporting details to complete the graphic organizer. Brainstorm together as a class to summarize the main idea as one sentence based on the chosen supporting details.
- Play the remainder of the song and have students complete the remaining graphic organizer activities. Review student answers as a class when students are finished.
- Have students complete the remaining activities listed above independently. Review as needed or refer students to the instructions on page 1 for help.
- The answer key is located on page 9.
- Students may then complete the "Turn and Talk" activities. Students may work in groups or individually for this activity.
Get this bundle now to keep your students engaged with reading!
*Leave a review if you liked these activities.*
You may also like:
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
*Font for "Rap Opera ... Kids. History. Reading. Math. And More... School Just Went Beast Mode. Educate. Entertain. Empower!" text by http://www.junkohanhero.com