Also included in
- Printable and digital reading centers! Reading centers are the perfect way to have your students practice reading skills in isolation of novels and independent reading.Note: All of the puzzles now include digital versions! See pages 3-4 of each PDF for details and links to access the digital reading$24.00$36.00Save $12.00
- This is a heavily discounted MEGA bundle of all of the reading centers and games for 4th and 5th grade that I have available in my TeachersPayTeachers store. Here are the bundles included in this MEGA bundle (click on each resource to read more about the centers included):Fiction Reading Comprehensi$112.00$222.00Save $110.00
Puzzles are not just for primary grades or math. These reading puzzles for identifying an author's main point will not only allow your students to practice 4th/5th grade level reading skills, but they will also be engaged with the novel format.
Note: This activity for identifying an author's main point now includes DIGITAL reading puzzles as well as printable ones. See pages 3-4 of the PDF for the details and links.
This reading center resource includes 20 main point puzzles to practice determining an author’s main point.
In one version of the directions, the students are also asked to write reasons used to support the main point, making it perfect for practicing RI.4.8 and RI.5.8.
Three different direction versions are included to help you best use this resource for your students.
Version 1: The students will read each text and match the puzzle piece that shows the author’s main point.
Version 2: The students will read the texts, write the author’s main points in their own words, and then find the puzzle pieces that match.
Version 3: This version is identical to Version 2, except optional distractor main idea puzzle pieces are included.
There are also two different recording sheet options for each version, one recording sheet with just the main point required and one where the students will also record reasons and evidence used to support the main point.
Directions and specific recording sheets for the different versions can be found following the puzzle pieces.
About the Digital Main Idea Puzzles
For the digital main point activity, the students will read two texts per slide and find the matching main point card. There are TWO versions:
To make this main point activity work in a digital format, the template has been modified and reimaged for optimal digital use.
There are TWO versions:
•Version 1 – Advanced – 6 Main Point choices per slide
•Version 2- Scaffolded – 4 Main Point choices per slide
This digital activity has been created for use with Google Slides. Please see the preview to see the digital main point puzzles.
- Click here to see my Reasons and Evidence Supplemental Resource that pairs well with these centers.
- Click here to see Reasons and Evidence Spinner Centers.
Need More Digital Reading Activities for 4th and 5th Grade?
- Self- Grading Digital Reading with Google Forms
- Digital Reading Activities for Grades 4-5
- 4th and 5th Grade Reading Intervention
- 4th and 5th Grade Digital Reading Review
- Digital Theme Activities
- Digital Inference Activities
- Digital Poetry Activities
- Digital Text Structure Activities
- Digital Color by Reading Activities
- Digital Reading Sorts
- Digital Reading Anchor Charts
- Digital Reading Flipbooks
- Digital Reading Notebooks