Main Topic Main Idea and Supporting Details
What educators are saying
Main Topic, Main Idea, and Supporting Details can be difficult concepts to learn for many students. If you are struggling to get your students to understand these concepts, this product was made just for you! Using hands-on fun activities, students will learn about Main Topic, Main Idea, and Key Details using a PowerPoint, games, and differentiated non-fiction books.
This fun and engaging unit includes:
- To introduce this concept, I have included a PowerPoint Slide show that introduces and teaches what Main Topic, Main Idea, and Supporting Details means. The slideshow shows examples and gets students talking and interacting with the teacher. The slideshow is 60 slides. A PDF version is also included so that you can use any of the slides as Anchor Charts etc.
Finding the Main Topic
- This activity gets the students up and moving around the room. Each student will have a picture (Key Detail) and will have to find the matching picture (Main Topic). Students interact and work together to find the four pictures that match each main topic. (See preview for pictures).
What's the Topic Game
- This game is played similarly to Headbands. Students get into groups of about 4. One student puts a picture on their forehead (Main Topic) and the other students give that student clues (Supporting Details) as to what they are. The guessing student gets 5 chances to guess their picture in order to keep their card for a point. There are a couple of different options for how to play this game in the product. (See preview for pictures).
- There are two different non-fiction books (Elephants and Baby Penguins) included in this product. There are three different levels for each book to allow for differentiation. After reading the text, students will find the Main Topic, Main Idea, and Key Details. (See preview for pictures).
- There are additional worksheets to use in addition to any of the lessons above. The worksheets could also be used as an assessment.
Check out what other teachers are saying about this product:
- Nyla B. says, "My students loved these hands-on activities to learn about Main Topic, Main Idea, and Key Details. The PowerPoint was a wonderful visual. There were lots of great differentiated texts and worksheets to help students practice the standard! I've used this many times."
- Brett D. says, "Great way to teach the standard and introduce the topic! My students has a blast doing the lesson activities and did really well to understand the concept. They asked to do some of the activities multiple times because they enjoyed them so much!"
You may also like:
The Ultimate Guided Reading Toolkit with Lesson Plans A-N
Don't forget- leaving feedback earns you TPT credits toward free TPT purchases!
FOLLOW ME to be notified when new resources are uploaded AND I offer 20% off my products for the first 48 hours. It pays to follow.
Copyright © JD'sRockinReaders.
All rights reserved by the author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Not for public display.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.