This is a packet to use as an Independent Reading Assessment for students who are on a level L independent reading level based on the Fountas and Pinnell Continuum.
This packet is ideal to use as a way to assess what students can do independently on days you may not meet with them during guided reading. I give these assessments to my students about once a month. I use this assessment to add progress notes to my anecdotal guided reading records. It is fabulous to help determine when it may be time for students to move up a level.
This packet can also be used as other types of reading assessments. However, it is not meant to replace guided reading time or independent free reading time.
The packet includes:
• Directions to explain to the student how to conduct their independent reading assessment.
• An assessment chart for teachers to assess student engagement of the book.
• Comprehension questions to answer that correlate to the book level of the Fountas and Pinnell Reading Continuum.
• Graphic organizers are included as an additional way to express answers within the packet.
• Lower level assessments include sentence frames with comprehension questions to support students with correct form for answering a constructed response question.
• A reflection activity for student to complete after reading the book in its entirety.