• Make color copies of puzzle papers and “Puzzle Mats”
• Cut out puzzles pieces and laminate
• Laminate Puzzle Mats
• Store puzzle pieces in Ziploc baggie or plastic container
• Dry-erase Markers
• This may be completed independently or in pairs.
• First, students will find puzzle matches
• Next, students will place puzzles on Puzzle Mat
• Finally, students will write the first letter they hear in each “picture word”
Puzzle Mat #1 Template: This is designed to serve as a scaffold where teachers may target specific letters. Teacher will write a “target letter” in each box. Students will then find the corresponding picture and write the letter several times.
Puzzle Mat #2 Template: Scaffold is not provided. Students will build puzzles and identify the first sound they hear in each. Next, students will place four different puzzles on mat. Finally, students will write the corresponding letter. For higher students, students may attempt to phonetically spell words.