Making Change Lesson is also available in the following packages at a discount:
1) Middle School Math Lessons, Projects, and Games eBook (42 engaging math activities - 438 pages) ($87.00)
2) Money Math Activities eBook for Middle School Math (4 lessons/ projects) ($17.00)
Check out these discounted eBooks of engaging, hands-on lessons and projects on TPT.
Lesson Description: Making Change is a lesson designed to teach students how to mentally compute the correct change that should be returned after a purchase. It explains how to compute change mentally and includes two speed drills (called "Changing Speed") to reinforce this concept.
Math Content: Mental Math, Decimals, Money
Time Required: Part of 1 class period or 1 homework assignment
Making Change includes:
* 1 Making Change basics worksheet and 1 basics answer key
* 2 Making Changes speed drills and 2 speed drill answer keys
* 1 Making Change Teacher Tips page
Materials Needed: None
Suggested Grade Level: 5th - 8th
Teaching students mathematics in a practical context, such as calculating the correct change expected after a purchase, will increase the financial literacy and life skills of students. Student number sense will also increase as they mentally calculate the correct change. We have all had experiences with employees incorrectly returning change to us. IT PAYS to be able to calculate correct change mentally!
Enjoy your lesson!!
Mark P. Tully