Quantifying is a challenging math concept for young learners. The Tools of the Mind math game of Making Collections is a great way to help young children practice this skill through a fun cooperative counting game. I incorporated the Making Collections concept with the class theme of Grocery store. Children will enjoy counting and checking different quantities up to 5 as they view familiar items they have learned about and discovered in their neighborhood grocery store.
How to Play
A set of (5) counters (bears etc...) for each student pair
A set of 3-5 Making Collections Grocery Themed Math picture cards for each student pair
A hand and a check mediator card for each student pair.
One cup for each student pair
1) Group children by pairs
2) Give one child the hand mediator card and the other student the
check mediator card.
3) The child with the hand card selects one Grocery picture card and
counts the objects.
4) The student with the hand counts the same number of counters
and places them in a cup.
5) The student with the check card will check the cup to see if the
student with the hand counted correctly.
6) The child with the hand card removes counters from the cup one
at a time and places the counters on top of each object pictured
on the Grocery Themed card. If there are too many counters in
the cup or too few the child with the hand must correct the error.
Once the card has the correct number of counters, they
celebrate with a high five and switch mediator cards. Now the
other person will be the hand and selects a new Grocery
Themed Math picture card to count!