The activities in this product are perfect to help your students celebrate President's Day and/or to enhance an American History unit through critical thinking skills. Students use their inferencing skills while reading and analyzing quotes from U.S. Presidents as they try to identify what character traits or issues were important to that particular president. Students are also able to participate in a short research project to learn about other U.S. Presidents. Students then work collaboratively with their peers to determine which presidents also deserve to have their birthday observed by a national holiday. Students write a persuasive piece, using evidence from their research to explain why the president they chose deserves his own national holiday.
This product contains:
* President Fact Sheets (One for Washington and one for Lincoln)
* Blank fact sheet for research project
* Website and book list to help with research project
* Writing prompt for a persuasive writing piece
* 16 quotes from U.S. Presidents for students to analyze and create a written response.
These activities will lead to rich conversations and will encourage students to think critically, using their ability to evaluate and infer information while using text evidence to support their thinking.