This is a literacy unit that covers reading and writing activities for a unit with the theme of teaching the character traits of Responsibility and Citizenship. This is the first language unit that is listed in my long range plans.
The read alouds chosen have a central theme in which the teacher can build on these themes for character education. Discussions occurring in class based on these books are great starters to teaching students about their responsibilities and citizenship skills.
Reading Focus: Making Predictions
Writing: Personal Recounts
This unit includes
- Suggested reading list for read alouds
- 5 weeks of progressive lesson plans for reading and writing
-Success Criteria for each week
-Learning Goals for each week
-Authors Purpose PIE poster
- Q Chart
- Pieces of Me
- Weekly Checklist
- SQP organizer for questioning and predicting
- recount organizers
- scaffolded writing organizers for open responses
- student samples of writing for moderating
- Assessment pages including diagnostic task, and final rubrics.
- Suggested themes for grammar and vocabulary lessons (these are suggestions only and lessons for these are not included)
This works great with my teacher conference/Student personal goal program
This program will work for both Canadian Curriculum, and the Common Core Standards.