This lesson provides students an outlet to discuss the novel and the specific scenes in a way that allows them to give deeper analysis without realizing they are doing that advanced level of work. This assignment can be adapted to fit any reading assignment.
The way I used it:
1. In small groups, students will choose a scene in which they will focus on the chapters they just read.
2. Students will summarize their scene in a bulleted or numbered list, including all visual and auditory elements, important details, and the tone of the passage.
3. The group will then write up a list of songs/types of music that would be played in the movie version of this scene.
4. Students will write up a list of celebrities they decide would be the best cast for each role portrayed in the scene.
5. Students will present the overarching ideas of their movie concept.
Assessment: The group handout or presentation will be graded based on effort, group compliance, depth of analysis for the tone, and quality of presentation.